Christ The King at 1508 Grosscup Avenue, Dunbar, WV 25064-2925 US - Learn more About UsLearn more About Us
Christ The King Catholic Church is located at 1504 Grosscup Avenue. Our community was established by Father Joseph A. Gilliam, O.F.M. Cap. during the development of the lower Kanawha Valley following World War II. The first Mass was celebrated by Father Oswald, O.F.M. Cap. on March 8, 1944.
The original white frame structure was dedicated on March 15, 1944 by the Most Reverend Bishop John J. Swint. Rev. Father Patrick J. Keating was the first resident pastor.
Under the direction of Rev. Father Roy A. Lombard, the school was constructed in 1959. The school opened in September, 1965 with 74 students in six grades. Two Sisters of St. Francis of Penance and Christian Charity of Stella Niagara, New York and one lay teacher staffed the school for the two years that it was in operation.
The original church structure was destroyed by fire in May, 1980. Liturgy was celebrated in the family room of the school during construction of the new church. The new brick structure consists of a large worship space with adjustable seating, a Reconciliation Room, and two large stained glass windows, which depict the creation and the New Jerusalem. The Most Rev. Bishop Joseph H. Hodges dedicated the new structure on September 16, 1983.
Today, Christ The King parish ministers to 135 families..