Mother Cabrini Shrine at Patent Road, West Peru, NY 12972 US - A HISTORY OF THE SHRINE
|Conscration of the Shrine|
St. Pactrick's is now an oratory, but is open every day from 8:00 AM to 4:PM for private devotions.
Rev. Harold P. McCabe was Pastor of the parish and had a great devotion to Mother Cabrini. She had
founded many hospitals, orphanages, schools and A religious order. Many cures had come through her
intercessions. Fr. McCabe inspired a grou;p of St. Patrick's parishioners to begin the task of creating
the shrine in her honor. Under the direction of chief mason Phillip Duprey men selected stones
from the church grounds to form a grotto just south of the church building. When completed, a statue of the saint was placed on a pedestal in a recess above the altar, under the arched stone canopy.
The shrine was consecrated by Bishop Bryan Joseph McEntegart on August 31, 1947.
Through the years many pilgrims have visited the shrine seeking Mother Cabrini's intercession.
For many years bus loads of people would come to visit in the summer. Accross the road from the shrine stands a small building. At one time it contained a small refreshment stand and restrooms for the benefit of the pilgrims.
In the summer of 2011 it was noted that the elements were taking a toll on the shrine. Friends of Mother Cabrini and volunteers built a pavilion over the original shrine to protect it, so many more generations might come and enjoy the peace and be renewed.