St. Michael's History at 1445 N. 2nd street, Philadelphia, PA 19122 US - The Great Train Wreck of 1856
The Great Train Wreck of 1856
In the early summer of 1856 preparations were begun for the holding of a picnic of the Sunday School on Thursday, July 17.
Ticket from archives of St. Michael Catholic Church
In the year 1856 steam-cars were still regarded with wonderment and admiration. We can therefore readily imagine the excitement which attended the preparations for the Sunday school outing. Not only the children but the parents also who would be able to make the journey thrilled at the prospect of so glorious an adventure as riding through the country at great speed behind one of those strange, puffing monsters of iron.
It is not unlikely that these simple people were still in awe even of the horse-drawn vehicles which moved so rapidly on rails past the church. A copy of Frank Leslie's Illustrated Newspaper of the day carried the picture of one of these conveyances in motion: the driver leans forward like a charioteer, reins in his left hand, whip upraised in his right; the horses appear to be in a mad dash; pedestrians are seen leaping frantically for safety. The North Pennsylvania Railroad Company established this rail line for horse-cars in 1855. The route was from
It is opportune to remark here that in the office of St. Michael's Rectory there is a drawing of the church, which some have insisted is a representation of the first edifice; but this is disproved by several details, one of them being the car rails shown on
The North Pennsylvania Railroad for steam-cars was first incorporated in 1852 as the
The first excursion train was to leave
Twelve hundred tickets had been sold. About seven hundred persons were on hand to make the early trip. Father Sheridan directed the entraining with the assistance of members of the lay committee. This robust young priest had need of all his vigor to cope with the situation created by the impatient and excited children. He made every effort to keep the little ones in the rear cars where there would be less danger.
The weight of the train of ten crowded cars was so great that there was difficulty in starting. Conductor Alfred F. Hoppel testified later that it left the depot at 5.10. The making of thirty miles an hour was required by the orders, but it was impossible to maintain this speed. It was necessary to make several brief stops because of trouble.
There was a stop of almost five minutes halfway between Chelton Hill and Tacony because the steam was low. When the train neared Edge Hill it was at least twenty-five minutes late.
There was only one track to this railroad. And on this one track, through the peaceful countryside, disaster was moving swiftly to meet the happy children of St. Michael's. The train of regular daily service to the City left Gwynedd at . It reached
The conduct of Alfred F. Hoppel, responsible for the safety of St. Michael's picnickers, is amazing. He knew the schedule of the regular train bound for
Between Edge Hill and Camp Hill in the vicinity of Dewey's Lane there was a curve along an embankment twenty-six feet high. The excursion cars thundered through a ravine and emerged on the curve, traveling with tremendous speed on a down grade. A second later the trains collided. The locomotives rose on end so that the fire boxes nearly touched, turned over and lay side by side.
The sound of crashing woodwork, the hissing of steam, the screams and piteous moans of the victims succeeded the first deafening noise of the terrific impact.
The three forward cars of the excursion. train as well as two unoccupied freight cars of the other were smashed to pieces. The wreckage of St. Michael's cars caught fire immediately. Many persons were killed instantly, others burned to death.
Children and women who occupied rear coaches and escaped serious injury jumped out, screaming in a frenzy of fear and grief. A crowd gathered quickly from neighboring hamlets, for the blaze could be seen for several miles. The heat of the burning wreckage was so intense that though protruding arms and legs and other parts of bodies could be glimpsed through the flame and smoke, it was impossible to approach to attempt a rescue.
A small brook ran nearby. A bucket-brigade was formed and equipped with tubs, buckets, pails, kettles and other utensils supplied by the farmers, but the effort to aid in this way was merely pitiful. The Congress Engine and Hose Company of Chestnut Hill shortly reached the scene and in a little while subdued the flames and began to extricate the victims.
There were two small hotels, maintained for summer vacationists, one dwelling, a blacksmith shop and a shed within a radius of three hundred yards of the wrecked trains, and as quickly as possible the injured were removed to these shelters. Later the shop and shed were converted into morgues.
Very Rev. Dr. Moriarity, O.S.A., pastor of the new parish of Our Mother of Consolation, Chestnut Hill, and Father Barbelin, S.J., who was a guest at the home of Lawyer Hirst in the same locality, heard of the disaster and sped with all haste to give the ministrations of religion. Physicians hurried from Chestnut Hill, Edge Hill, White Marsh and
Mrs. Mary J. Ambler upon receiving the intelligence quickly gathered first-aid materials and covered the distance of two miles on foot. The service she rendered in caring for the injured was so conspicuous that after her death in 1868, the railroad company changed the name of the station near her home from Wissahickon to Ambler.
STAINED GLASS WINDOW HONORING MARY AMBLER + ST. JOSEPH CHURCH + AMBLER, PA Photo taken by Gerry Burns on Ascension Thursday, 2002
STAINED GLASS WINDOW HONORING MARY AMBLER + ST. JOSEPH CHURCH + AMBLER, PA
Photo taken by Gerry Burns on Ascension Thursday, 2002
The tragic news was brought to the City, spread through the parish. Men dropped their tools or left their looms and rushed from the factories, anguished women ran sobbing through the streets. Crowds of parents and other relatives of the children collected at the three stations, clamoring frantically for transportation, and had to be restrained by the police from seizing and attempting to use the dangerous hand-cars. Coaches were attached to the one locomotive remaining in
The train which had taken up the physicians and nurses returned to the City at , bringing twenty injured and twenty dead. It was sent back immediately and arrived again in
Father Daniel Sheridan had been killed, crushed in a horrible manner between two cars. His body was so mangled as to be scarcely identifiable. The remains of a young boy had been found under the ruins of the engine in an ash-pan. The condition of many of the corpses indicated that death had been caused by burning. Here is the list of St. Michael's dead with their ages:
Rev. Daniel Sheridan 35 yrs
Henry Corr 30
Francis McCort 21
Francis Walls 21
John Dudson 21
James Roy 20
James Gallagher 20
Edward Hall 20
Patrick Kearney 19
William T. Barnett 18
Bernard Green 18
John McAleer 18
Bernard Ronegan 18
John McGuire 18
William Dugan 17
John Grillen 17
James Conlin 17
Michael Burns 17
Michael O'Brien 17
Mrs. Gunn 60
Teresa Callahan 18
Sarah Mayer 18
Mary Short 16
Catharine McGurk 16
Anna Lilley 16
James Dugan 17
Patrick Kelly 16
Thomas Kelly 16
Hugh Tracey 16
James McIntyre 16
Neil Coakley 16
Edward Flanigan 16
John McVey 15
Hugh Campbell 15
William McGuigan 15
Michael Haggerty 15
John Ryan 15
Hugh O'Neill 14
Patrick Flanigan 14
John Bradley 14
] ohn Sloan 13
James Devine 11
Louis Rivell 10
Daniel Marlow 9
Rose Ann Mulholland 15
Catharine Coakley 14
Ellen Clark 14
Caroline Croener 13
Mary McErlane 13
Besides, the engineer of the excursion train, Harry Harris, was killed. The fireman, although thrown thirty feet into a: field, suffered only abrasions and slight contusions. Alfred F. Hoppel escaped with the least of injuries. The engineer and fireman of the other train had been able to save themselves by leaping. The conductor, William Vanstavoren, upon returning to the City reported the accident officially and then went to his residence,
A Solemn Mass of Requiem was celebrated in St. Michael's Church Saturday morning, July 19. To quote from the Catholic Herald:
"As early as on the morning of Saturday, groups of persons who had relatives among the dead or who belonged to the congregation were scattered in" the vicinity" of. the church, Before these isolated groups became one solid mass, all pressing forward to get a last view of the beloved priest by whose ministrations they had been so long edified, instructed and consoled. During the early part of the morning the Holy Sacrifice of propitiation had been offered up to the throne of mercy at each of the three altars in the church on behalf of the many deceased. The several pews were occupied by their immediate relations.
"The body of the Rev. Mr. Sheridan was disposed in the manner usual with deceased clergymen; arrayed in sacerdotal robes, was laid in the richly-mounted coffin and placed in the centre aisle before that altar whereat he had so often officiated. The crowd outside was becoming every moment more and more anxious to get in, but the most perfect order was preserved. If they had been permitted to get in, by crushing and pressing lives would have been lost. This was provided against. The outer entrance at the iron railing was closed, and a considerable body of police was present and had a very important duty to discharge, which they did satisfactorily. Under the direction of the Rev. Father O'Connor of this church, upon whom the arrangements devolved, groups were admitted from time to time. They passed up the centre aisle, around the coffin, and cast one last, sad, lingering look on the countenance they were to see no more. They were passed down the south aisle and out to make way for others. In all this procession or pilgrimage, silent prayers arose from every heart, tears started unbidden to every eye, reverence was in every attitude and step. Judging from all that we have witnessed, we believe it hardly possible to estimate the depth of love, esteem and veneration in which this young clergyman was held.
"Before and during the celebration of High Mass, several coffins containing the remains of some of the deceased were brought into the church and rested on the upper parts of the pews. They were laid feet towards the altar, the remains of the deceased clergyman being placed, as usual, facing the congregation. Many others for whom space could not be found without incommoding the congregation were placed in the basement.
"The Solemn High Mass for the eternal repose of the Rev. Daniel Sheridan and those of the congregation who died in consequence of the same awful disaster, was commenced about . The Rev. P. F. Sheridan of
(At one touching part of this discourse, "the grief that had been only held back by the earnestness with which the consoling language of the Very Reverend preacher was listened to, now burst forth, not in loud or frantic wailings or gesticulations, but with that deep intensity of grief which no form of words could embody, that low, hollow, indistinct sound which told of that hoarded reverential love for the faithful Priest of God, which lay in the depth of every human heart within that congregation. It was with difficulty the voice of the preacher, sonorous though it be, could be heard for some time."}
"After the sermon the usual psalms were sung and the coffin containing the remains of the Rev. Mr. Sheridan having been closed up, a procession of the clergymen preceded by the cross-bearer, carrying a large-sized crucifix draped in mourning, followed the body to the burial ground adjoining the church. Immense crowds followed, and amongst them there was not one who did not evince the deepest emotion. Other bodies which lay in the church immediately followed and were also interred. On Sunday the bodies of nine others were interred. The number of persons whose remains could not be identified was eight; these were buried under the arrangements of Mr. Hookey, the undertaker, along with the others." On Sunday, too, Mass was offered for the victims in every Catholic church of the City.
Coroner Daniel Jacoby of
Mr. Hoppel was a Kensington Protestant-a description which in those days connoted a most intense hatred of Catholics. But it is unbelievable that he or anyone else, not to speak of a group, would seek to compass the death of hundreds of children. Such a man would be a human devil, a monster of evil, a modern Herod. But the horrors of May, 1844, were still vividly remembered in St. Michael's Parish, and the recent criminal excesses committed bv the Knownothings in various parts of the country-it was not yet a year since the Bloody Monday at Louisville-had kept the people for some time in a state of apprehension, so it is not surprising that rumors of a plot to slaughter the children on their outing should have sprung up and persisted. John J. McDevitt of 842 N. Second Street, wrote and published a lengthy account of the tragedy in verse, in which he expressed his conviction of the guilt of the bigots. This poem, if it may be called such, was circulated through the City parishes and made a lasting impression. One effect of the fear en- gendered was that for some years afterwards Catholic organizations in chartering. trains for excursions demanded the right to pass upon the acceptability of, the train crew.
The whole nation was horrified at the tragic news. Newspapers in every part of the country carried leaders demanding that railroad companies improve their methods and equipment and make the safety of passengers their first consideration. This was everywhere described as the worst disaster in the history of steam-cars. In the parish itself hysterical grief quickly yielded to the calming influences of religion. Faith sustained the people, soothed them, whispered its sweet message of hope to their sorrowful hearts. Whatever' credence was given in the circumstances to' rumors of greased rails and similar stories, there was never the least manifestation of passion. They understood that God saw all things and permitted the tragedy for His own good purpose; it was necessary to humble themselves before Him, to submit patiently to His holy Will. This was their supreme hour of common trial and they came through it with unwavering trust in the goodness of their Maker.
A public subscription of thirteen thousand nine hundred dollars ($13,900.00) was made to relieve the distress occasioned by this tragedy.
Photo of priests tomb in St. Michael Cemetery taken by Gerry Burns
Father Daniel Sheridan had made his studies at
There is good and sufficient reason for giving in full here the obituary of Rev. Daniel Sheridan, which appeared a little more than a week after the picnic in the Catholic Herald, and which shows that he was a man of genius and extraordinary personality;
"This learned, pious, and zealous priest-whose death has created the most profound sentiment of grief in the hearts of all who had known him-was born in Raphoe,
"After some time his health became impaired, probably from over-exertion in study, and he was compelled to withdraw himself, under the advice of friends, until his health and vigor should be restored. When his health permitted he again resumed his studies, this time at Mt. St. Mary's College,
"Of his eloquence, his logical acumen and classical and historical research, many throughout the city can form a proper judgment from his able lectures delivered on various occasions on behalf of charity. But it is not upon these mere natural or acquired intellectual powers that the exalted character of a priest is built. He must have that humility which bespeaks, better than words can express, how much he feels of the majesty of God and the weakness of a creature, such as he is; and at the same time he must possess that noble dignity of soul which empowers him as the minister of God to direct, to teach, to restrain, to heal, or to console those who are committed to his charge. In piety, charity, discretion and zeal he should labor in season and out of season for the greater honor and glory of God. Such is the character of a true priest-not merely an ideal picture-but one for which Rev. Daniel Sheridan might have sat as the original.
"With the young he was at once a playmate, a brother and a parent. Upon the altar he was the fervent priest, the earnest preacher and the careful guide. By the bed of sickness, of sorrow, of death, he was the personal friend, the angel of consolation, teaching how grief and pain should be borne and pointing to heaven, to which he sought to guide the footsteps of men. He seemed to live but for his flock, and in the eloquent words of the Very Rev. Dr. Moriarity, with them he died. He was to his congregation a living embodiment of the holiness and beauty of the Catholic Church. There was not one of the congregation who did not feel in his death the loss of a dearly beloved friend-nay, there was not a wailing parent or sister or brother within the church on Saturday last who did not feel their family bereavement doubled in the loss of their beloved pastor.
"In conclusion we can only pray that his soul and the souls of all those who died with him may have eternal light and rest."
To this outline of Father Sheridan's career may be added this information, not without historical value, that he preached at the dedication of the first mission house on Absecon Island-on the site of which chapel now stands the beautiful
from "Old St. Michael's, The Story, 1834-1934" By Rev. William J. Boyle