“Why Do Catholics…?”
The passing on of our Catholic tradition depends on the witness of adults in continuing their own faith development. The quality of faith formation for children and youth is directly related to an adult community that is well-formed in the Catholic faith. Thus, our primary focus is on adult faith formation. Many adults long for a deeper personal experience of God and involvement in a community of faith. We provide opportunities to satisfy the spiritual hunger of adults and to talk about the importance of Jesus Christ in their lives.
St Robert of Newminster Church offers a variety of activities for the spiritual growth and faith development of adults of all ages, including
· Bible Study
· Marriage Enrichment
· Parenting Presentations
· Catholic Inquiry & Renewal
· Christian Initiation
· Guest Speakers
· Seasonal Spiritual Enrichment
For additional information on adult faith formation opportunities at St Robert of Newminster Church, contact
WHY DO CATHOLICS…?
Throughout the Easter season in 2013, the Anchored in Christ bulletin columns will offer insights into some Catholic practices. The links below are additional resources for those topics.
- DIVINE MERCY Second Sunday of Easter
- POSTURES & GESTURES AT MASS
o Sign of the Cross
o Blessing ourselves with holy water
o Making the Sign of the Cross on forehead, lips & heart before the Gospel
- THE HIERARCHY Good Shepherd Sunday
- HEAVEN, HELL & PURGATORY
- HOLY DAYS OF OBLIGATION Ascension of the Lord
- PENTECOST, THE HOLY SPIRIT Pentecost
- THE CREEDS – APOSTLES’ CREED & NICENE CREED Solemnity of the Most Holy Trinity
- REAL PRESENCE OF CHRIST IN THE EUCHARIST Solemnity of the Most Holy Body & Blood of Christ
- Other Resources
- Bausch, William J. While You Were Gone: A Handbook for Returning Catholics…and those thinking about it. Mystic, CT: Twenty-Third Publications, 1994.
- Catechism of the Catholic Church. Libreria Editrice Vaticana, 1997.
- Dietzen, Fr John J. Catholic Q&A: All You Want to Know about Catholicism. New York: The Crossroad Publishing Company, 2009.
- Dues, Greg. Catholic Customs & Traditions. New London, CT: Twenty-Third Publications, 2009.
- Groom, Thomas H. What Makes Us Catholic. San Francisco: HarperCollins, 2002.
- Handbook for Today’s Catholic. Liguori, MO: Liguori, 2004.
- Johnson, Kevin Orlin, PhD. Why Do Catholics Do That? New York: Ballantine Books, 1994.
- Santa, Thomas M, CSsR. Dear Padre: Questions Catholics Ask. Liguori, MO: Liguori, 2003.
- The Catholic Source Book. Orlando, FL: Harcourt Religion Publishers, 2007.
Several options are offered for Bible study:
· For all adults – Tuesdays 9:45 a.m. year-round
· For women – Wednesdays 9:30 a.m. October 10-March 27
· For all adults – Wednesdays 6:30 p.m. October 10-March 27
ONLINE ADULT FAITH FORMATION RESOURCES
Faith formation is a life-long process. In our tech-savvy world, there are a variety of web resources to help you enhance your spiritual growth.
C21 offers non-credit courses of spiritual renewal and on-going faith formation. They provide some free on-line courses as well as the C21 online network where a parish or diocese pays $100 for 10 people to take a course for $35 per person.
The Diocese of Grand Rapids has partnered with Catholic Distance University in a Diocesan Subsidy Plan. This means that anyone can take a three week seminar or each workshop on the Catechism for $30. Click on the link above and go directly to the site for further instruction. All seminars provide hours for catechetical certification.
Offers online courses for catechist and adult formation.
Provides on-line courses in theology, scripture, sacraments, liturgy and many others for catechists. The Diocese of Grand Rapids is a partner and can provide the five week courses at a reduced rate of $40 per person.
Marriage is not just a matter of love; it is also a matter of on-going development of your commitment to your spouse. It takes regular prayer and practice in self-less giving to make your marriage fruitful in God’s love and joy. The parish occasionally provides opportunities for married couples of all ages to enrich their relationships with one another and with God. Check out these online resources, as well: