St. Robert of Newminster Parish at 6477 Ada Drive, Ada, MI 49301 US - Catechist Formation and Certification
Catechist Formation and Certification
Protecting God’s Children (VIRTUS)
Catechist Certification Opportunities
Online Catechist Resources
St Roberts Church offers catechists a variety of opportunities for on-going formation and development. All catechists participate in an annual orientation session prior to beginning faith formation sessions. Throughout the year, catechists are invited to participate in catechetical conferences, formation sessions, and independent study, according to their personal development needs. After completing an independent study item, catechists need to complete a Catechist’s Learning Page (form here) and submit it to Teri Burns, the Director of Faith Formation, to receive credit toward certification.
The Diocese of Grand Rapids requires that all catechists participate in formation opportunities, awarding certification based on hours of learning:
· Basic Certification
o Level I – 8 hours
o Level II – 9-50 hours
· Advanced Certification – 80 hours
· Master Certification – Advanced certification plus 18 academic credit hours
Certified catechists are trained in four dimensions:
· The Person of the Catechist
· Content of the Faith
· The Learner
Catechist Certification Application and Renewal Certification forms are available at
For additional information on catechist formation and certification, contact
PROTECTING GOD’S CHILDREN (VIRTUS)
St Robert of Newminster Parish complies with the requirements of the Charter for the Protection of Children and Young People of the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops and the guidelines of the Diocese of Grand Rapids. Under the requirements of the program, all employees and volunteers of the parish engaged in regular contact with children or young people must undergo a criminal history background check and attend a Protecting God’s Children abuse awareness session.
CATECHIST CERTIFICATION OPPORTUNITIES
· Echoes of Faith video series – available for self-checkout in the Catechist’s Corner.
View video, select two or three questions from the booklet and write out your answers on a sheet of paper, submit to Director of Faith Formation.
Finding God – online at http://www.loyolapress.com/finding-god-2013.htm Read any of the resources and write a page on how you will use the information in your ministry as a catechist. To access catechist resources under Finding God, create an account with your name, email and a password; then under “Program Users Access Codes,” type in FG-2013 next to “Finding God 2013.” If you already have a Finding God account, click on “Edit Information” and select “Program Users Access Codes” to enter the FG-2013 code.
· Catholic Information Center - http://www.catholicinformationcenter.org/ Each session offered lists the area of catechetical development covered. All classes offered at the CIC are approved for catechist certification. The Catholic Information Center now offers live streaming and archived videos of sessions offered; see the links on their website.
· Boston College C21 - http://www.bc.edu/schools/stm/c21online/ C21 offers non-credit courses of spiritual renewal and on-going faith formation. The Diocese of Grand Rapids is a partner; contact the Director of Faith Formation for our partner code. St Roberts Church will reimburse catechists for the $35 course fee.
· University of Dayton Virtual Learning Community of Faith Formation –https://vlc.udayton.edu/ Provides online courses in theology, scripture, sacraments, liturgy, and many other areas for catechist formation. The Diocese of Grand Rapids is a partner. St Roberts Church will reimburse catechists for the $40 course fee.
· The Catholic Education Center – http://catholiceducationcenter.org/OnlineCourses.html Catechist formation courses have 10 classes and count as 10 hours toward catechist certification in the Diocese of Grand Rapids. St Roberts Church will reimburse catechists for the $75 course fee.
ONLINE CATECHIST RESOURCES