Belleville Cursillo Movement at PO Box 331, Saint Libory, IL 62282 US - Guidelines for Sponsoring Candidates to Cursillo
Guidelines for Sponsoring Candidates to Cursillo
The only requirement for a candidate to Cursillo is that they be Roman Catholic and are able to receive the Sacraments of the Church. Sponsors should also consider candidates for strength of character, maturity, an open mind, an ability to listen, friendship and willingness to change.
Candidates should be emotionally healthy and seeking a deeper spiritual life. The Cursillo week end is not designed to be a cure-all for those experiencing personal problems. Prayer is an important part of sponsorship and sponsors should pray for candidates before, during and after the Cursillo week end.
Sponsors are also expected to:
• Explain the Cursillo weekend
• Answer ALL questions that your candidate might have. You cannot tell him/her too much.
• Try to ease any fears or anxiety the Candidate may have about the weekend. Make sure the application is totally completed:
• Go over the application form with your candidate. Ask him/her to fill it out, sign it and return it to you. You must complete the Sponsor page, sign it and return both forms with the deposit fee to Pat Cates. Keep in close contact with your Candidate
• Make sure your Candidate has transportation to and from the Cursillo. Contact Pat Cates if you need help with this.
• Inform the candidate’s family that he/she will be returning rather late on Sunday evening. Explain that they are not to try to call except in an emergency. Phones are not allowed on the weekend and the candidate will be given a phone number to be used in an emergency. Support your candidate during the week end
• Do Palanca (prayer and sacrifice) for your candidate and write a letter to them. Letters from non-Cursillistas (including family members) are not necessary (or appropriate).
• Attend the Sunday closing. Your candidate will be looking for you at the closing. If you cannot make the closing, you might ask someone to support your candidate on Sunday. Help your candidate to participate in follow-up Cursillo activities
• Bring your candidate to the next Ultreya and any follow-up activities.
• Assist and make sure he/she finds a friendship group.
Your commitment to your candidate does not end when he/she completes the application, or even after the Cursillo weekend. It is your responsibility to make sure your candidate feels welcomed at all Cursillo activities and is supported in his/her apostolic endeavors for at least a year.
Forms for registering and sponsoring a candidate may be found here.