Diocese of Birmingham - Catholic Schools Office at 2121 3rd Avenue North, Birmingham, AL 35203 US - Facts
- The Diocese of Birmingham in Alabama was established on December 9, 1969.
- On July 1, 1970 the Catholic Schools Office was established.
- The first Superintendent of Catholic Schools was Monsignor William R. Houck followed by Mr. Brice A. Hendrick (1976), Dr. Eileen Moore (Interim Superintendent – 1996), Sr. Mary Leanne Welch (1997), and Frances Lawlor (2008).
- In 1970 the first Board of Catholic Education was established by Bishop Joseph G. Vath, D.D., the first Bishop of the Diocese of Birmingham.
- Currently, the Diocese of Birmingham encompasses 39 counties in North Alabama with 29 schools and more than 6000 students.
- There are 16 elementary schools, 5 high schools, 6 early childhood schools, and 2 private schools in the Diocese.
- Sacred Heart Catholic School in Cullman is our oldest continuously operating school opening in 1833, 176 years ago.