Diocese of Steubenville - Office of Vocations at 422 Washington St, Steubenville, OH 43952 US - Brothers of the Immaculate Heart of Mary
|Brothers of the Immaculate Heart of Mary|
|Emblem (see explanation below)|
In 1948, the late Bishop John King Mussio, first bishop of the Diocese of Steubenville, conceived the idea of a Diocesan Brotherhood geared to the needs and circumstances of his young diocese. In his vision he saw the potentialities of a group of dedicated men, united by religious vows, who could render assistance to the diocesan priests' needs as teachers, secretaries, catechists and sacristans.
In August of 1948, the bishop's foresight was realized. Two young men with a pioneering spirit so necessary for a new work were interested in becoming Brothers and formed the nucleus of the Brotherhood of the Immaculate Heart of Mary.
For a period of 12 years there had been many, many trials - real tests of faith - for the new Brotherhood. Candidates came and left. At one time, the total membership was reduced to one aspirant. The bishop, however, would not be defeated in his bold, new venture for Christ. His relentless praying to our Blessed Lady, his untiring efforts and his encouraging words gave the Brothers the strong courage and determined will to go on to advance the cause of Christ.
The Brothers are a diocesan community. They dedicate themselves for Christ with vows of poverty, chastity and obedience. They have served in parish ministry as religious education teachers, pastoral associates, secretaries, caretakers and in administrative positions.
Brother Dominic Carroll is superior general of the Brothers of the Immaculate Heart of Mary. He received the Caritas Award in 1975 and the Pro Ecclesia et Pontifice Medal in 1990. He resides at the Villa Maria Generalate in Steubenville with Brother Patrick Geary, who served for many years as a pastoral associate at St. Peter Church, Steubenville, and Brother John Vyszenski. Brother Anthony Motto served as Master of Ceremonies for the first four bishops of the Diocese of Steubenville and as pastoral associate at St. Joseph and St. Francis parishes in Toronto, Ohio. He received the Pro Ecclesia et Pontifice Medal in 1990. Brother Anthony went to his eternal reward on January 9, 2013.
The Heart expressed by the two outer lines of the letter M and the horizontal bar of the cross running through the letter M, is symbolic of the Pure and Immaculate Heart of Mary.
The Divine love which embraces the Immaculate Heart of Mary is suggested by the cross to which is clinging the Heart of Mary.
The blue border surrounding the engraved letters, I.H.M., represents the Mystical Rose, which symbolizes the ardent charity with which Mary's Heart was always inflamed towards God.
This same ardent charity will inflame the Brothers of this Congregation, if they will continually bear in their hearts, a great love for the Cross of Christ and the Immaculate Heart of Mary.
Vocation inquires should be directed to Fr. Timothy Shannon, Vocation Director of the Diocese of Steubenville.