Choosing a school for your child is one of the most important decisions a family can make. At The Good Shepherd Catholic Academy, we understand the importance of this decision, and we encourage each family to find the school that best fits their child and their values. In the same manner, we as a school work to ensure that any new student will quickly acclimate to our environment and be successful.
Our enrollment process is divided into four stages to ensure a smooth process:
· Request an Informational Packet - You can easily request one of our informational packets by completing this form or calling the school at (210) 532-3166. Much of the information you have found on this site will be included in the packet, as well as an application for admission.
· Tour the School - We offer tours throughout the school year, inviting families to come experience The Good Shepherd Catholic Academy. During the tour, families will visit our classrooms, speak with several teachers, interact with current students, and spend some time meeting privately with the school's administration. To schedule a tour, please contact the school via the form to the right or call us at (210) 532-3166. Please plan to spend at least an hour touring the school. In addition, be aware that the tour will include climbing a flight of stairs.
· Additional Opportunities to Learn More - Following a tour, prospective families will also have the chance to speak with an Adminstrator. Additional visits can also be arranged, which could include a parent observing in a classroom or meeting directly with a teacher.
· Once a family determines they are interested in sending their child(ren) to The Good Shepherd Catholic Academy, they should complete a registration packet for each student.
· The registration fee of $180 per child should be paid at the time of registration. The registration fee is only refundable in the event the school declines to accept the prospective student.
· Every prospective student will be assessed for grade readiness and to assist the school in providing appropriate services. In conjunction with family interviews and review of records, these academic assessments will be used in determining acceptance.
· During the school year, applicants will be asked to spend a full-day visiting The Good Shepherd Catholic Academy, interacting with their potential classmates and teachers, participating in the classroom activities, and learning more about what it means to be a student at The Good Shepherd Catholic Academy. At some point throughout the day, the student will complete math and language arts assessments designed by our teachers. Students are also observed for their social interactions with the teachers and classmates.
· If a visit day cannot be scheduled due to summer break, the applicant will meet with a teacher or administrator to take appropriate placement tests and participate in an informal interview process designed to help the teacher better get to know the student.
· All incoming kindergarten students are assessed using a school Readiness Test. These incoming kindergarten applicants spend only a half-day visiting the school and only on certain special Kindergarten Visit Days. Those days will occur throughout the spring of 2013.
· Following the assessments, the school administration, teachers, and applicant family will meet to review the results, go over the school records received, and discuss any concerns.
· After this conference, acceptance decisions will be made, with admitted students receiving an acceptance letter within two weeks. If The Good Shepherd Catholic Academy is not the best fit for the applicant, the school will make appropriate recommendations of other options that may be a better fit.
· Upon acceptance, additional paperwork, including tuition agreement and payment information, will be required to complete the process and fully enroll a child.
Please note that acceptance is just the beginning of our relationship with your family. Once accepted, your child will be invited to participate in any upcoming sports seasons and your family will be invited to attend any school events for new families. We look forward to entering into a strong relationship with all of our new families!
If you have any questions about this process or would like to speak with someone directly about moving forward with enrolling your child at The Good Shepherd Catholic Academy, please contact Mrs. Priscilla Gonzalez, Director of Admissions, at (210) 532-3166 or email Mrs. Gonzalez directly at firstname.lastname@example.org