The Immaculate Heart of Mary Parish at 101 Churchill Street, Dushore, PA 18614 US - St. Francis of Assisi Church
St. Francis of Assisi Church
St. Francis of Assisi Church was dedicated on August 2, 1896 by the Rt. Rev. Michael J. Hoban, coadjutor Bishop of Scranton. The pastor of St. Francis was Reverend J. A. Enright. The original St. Francis of Assisi Church was of gothic style, 100 feet long by 50 feet wide. To the top of the cross on the spire it was 107 feet. In the belfry was a 2000-pound McShane bell. The large stained glass window above the entrance had been a donation of Father Enright. Ten other windows alwo were donated with all glass being imported from Munich, Germany. All statuary was imported from Parisian art galleries. The pews were of sollid quartered oak. The altar had been built in Buffalo and was considered an exceptionally beautiful work of art.
The church and rectory were destroyed by fire on a Friday night in April, 1957. Tlhe fire was discovered around 10:00 PM by Reverend Luke F. Hally, it's pastor. In minutes the rectory was also ablaze.
A new church and rectory were built for the parishioners of St. Francis of Assisi. The current church building was renovated in 1996 by Reverend Patrick J. McLaughlin, pastor.
St. Francis of Assisi Church continues to serve the people of Mildred and surrounding towns under the care of Reverend Joseph R. Hornick. Masses are held in the church Sunday mornings at 7:30AM. Daily mass is held on Wednesdays and Thursdays at 8:00 AM.