Cathedral of St. John the Baptist at 1900 Carlton Rd., Parma, OH 44134-3129 US - Learn more About UsLearn more About Us
The Cathedral of St. John the Baptist is the cathedral church for the Byzantine Catholic Eparchy of Parma. St. John Parish was founded in 1898. The first pastor was Father Peter Keselak. At first the new congregation used St. Joseph's Chapel at East 23rd and Woodland Avenue, Cleveland, for Divine Services. Later they rented a hall on East 22nd and Woodland, the corner of old Perry Street. In August, 1901, as the congregation grew in size they bought a church and parish house at the corner of East 22nd and Scovill Avenue (now East 22nd and Tri-C Way). With the advent of the freeway system, the parish property was purchased by the State of Ohio for the new interstate and the parish built a new church on its picnic grounds at Broadview and Snow roads in Parma. When the Eparchy of Parma was established in 1969, St. John church became the cathedral of the new eparchy.