Office of the Bishop (Diocese of Lexington) at 1310 West Main Street, Lexington, KY 40508 US - Bishop Gainer's Coat of Arms
Bishop Gainer's Coat of Arms
The bishop's coat of arms is composed of a shield with its symbols, a motto scroll, and the external ornaments. By tradition, the arms of the bishop of a diocese are joined to the arms of his jurisdiction, seen in the left side of the shield. In this case, these are the arms of the Diocese of Lexington.
The personal arms of Bishop Gainer, seen on the right side of the shield, reflect his life and his heritage.
These arms are composed of a red field on which is displayed a silver (white) bar which is encircled by a golden (yellow) ring. This is the dominant configuration, honoring St. Catherine of Siena, of the arms of the bishop's home: the Diocese of Allentown, Pennsylvania. Above the bar is a silver pine tree and below the bar are the three silver hills with the golden double-crossmember that is known as the "Cross of Lorraine." These eastern European (Baden and Slovak) charges are used to honor the heritage that has come to the bishop from his parents.
For his motto, Bishop Gainer has selected the phrase, "Ex de plenitudine...gratiam pro gratia." This phrase, taken from St. John's Gospel (John 1:16) expresses the profound belief for each Christian that all we ever need, the life of God within, comes to us from the unending source of all goodness, that is, the Lord, for "from His fullness, grace upon grace."
The device is completed with the external ornaments which are the processional cross, which is placed in back of the shield and which extends above and below the shield, and a pontifical hat, called a "gallero," with its six tassels, in three rows, on either side of the shield, all in green. These are the heraldic insignia of a prelate of the rank of bishop