Metropolitan Catholic College Librarians Chapter at c/o Lois Cherepon, Staten Island, NY 10301 US - Fall 2010 Ellis Island
Fall 2010 Ellis Island
The MCCLC invites you to attend our Fall 2010 meeting & tour at Ellis Island. The traveling exhibit “Women and Spirit: Catholic Sisters in America” is on display at Ellis Island September 24, 2010 thru January 22, 2011 and will be the focal point of our visit.
"WOMEN & SPIRIT: Catholic Sisters in America" is a traveling exhibit sponsored by the Leadership Conference of Women Religious (LCWR) in association with Cincinnati Museum Center. It reveals the mystery behind a small group of innovative American women who helped shape the nation’s social and cultural landscape.” http://www.womenandspirit.org/about.html
DATE: Friday, October 22, 2010
TIME: 9:30 Meet at Battery Park
(ferry ticket booth area)
9:50 Ferry to Ellis Island
10:35 – 12:35
Visit “Women & Spirit” exhibit
12:45 – 2:00
Lunch Ellis Island Café, or brown bag it
PLACE: Ellis Island
COST: $12 for ferry ($10 for seniors)
purchased that day
Lunch – on your own
No RSVP necessary,
but for more information contact
but for more information contact
Prof. Andrea McElrath,
We’re planning to take the 9:50 ferry, but if you miss that one for any reason, there’s another one at 10:15, etc…
To the Ferry via Public Transportation
Battery Park by subway: Take the 1 train to the South Ferry station, 4 or 5 train to the Bowling Green station or R/W train to the Whitehall Street station. Call the NYC Transit Authority for information at: 718 330-1234. .
- Battery Park by bus: Take the M15 (East Side) marked "South Ferry" or the M6 (West Side) from 57th Street.
Ferry Service from New Jersey: Purchase round-trip ferry tickets at the Central Railroad Terminal Building and Museum at Liberty State Park in Jersey City, NJ . Ferries from Liberty State Park operate on a loop, stopping first at Ellis Island and then at Liberty Island before returning to Liberty State Park.
- Liberty State Park by Light Rail: The Hudson-Bergen Light Rail train provides service through the Jersey City, NJ area and has a station at Liberty State Park about 1 mile from the ferry location. A shuttle bus runs from the Light Rail station to the ferry slip. For more information on schedules, fares, service etc. call: 1-800 772-2222 (TTY) 1-800 772-2287.
- Newark Penn Station: Take the PATH subway to Exchange Place in Jersey City. Then take the Light Rail to Liberty State Park. From there, take the shuttle bus to the ferry slip.
- Hoboken Train / PATH subway / Bus station: Take the Light Rail to Liberty State Park. From there, take the shuttle bus to the ferry slip.
- Journal Square, Jersey City: Take the PATH subway to Exchange Place in Jersey City. Then take the Light Rail to Liberty State Park. From there, take the shuttle bus to the ferry slip.
To the Ferry by Car
Battery Park, NY by car: Take the East Side Drive (FDR Drive) south to Battery Park and State Street or the West Side Highway/West Street/Route 9A south to Battery Place. Designated parking is not available. Privately operated parking lots are located along West Street and South Street (beneath the FDR Drive) and can be expensive. Because parking is limited, it is best to arrive early or, better yet, to take public transportation.
Liberty State Park in Jersey City, NJ by car: Take the New Jersey Turnpike Extension to Exit 14B. Follow the signs to Liberty State Park/Ferry to Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island. There is ample parking available in Liberty State Park for a fee.