Our Lady of Perpetual Help Catholic Church at 1711 E. 11th Ave., Tampa, FL 33605 US - Learn more About UsLearn more About Us
Our Lady of Perpetual Help, founded in 1890, is one of the oldest and most beautiful churches in the Tampa Bay area. Following is the history of this famous parish.
1934 - 2010
Celebrating 76 Years
Way back in 1890, our Parish began humbly with a small group of Hispanics.
In 1934, the Redemptorists came and built a new church and named it Our Lady of Perpetual Help.
The Sisters of St Joseph developed a wonderful school and the School Sisters of Notre Dame continued this great work and were highly respected in the community.
In the seventies, the Dominican Fathers took charge for a few years and were soon followed by Msgr Diego Conesa and Fr Joseph Brennan.
The Marists arrived in 1986 and are here today. In the last 18 years, we ministered to the Haitian Community until they obtained a priest from Haiti and moved on.
When we come together, we have a vast array of cultures to include Italians, Spanish, Cuban, Puerto Ricans, Mexicans and many other countries of South America represented. The Hispanics represented our parish on television via Azteca America, from December to May of this year with a televised Mass for shut-ins and those unable to come to the church. We are happy that our Philippine Community is also growing.
With affection, we remember Fr. Robert Fahey who is now living in San Francisco and Fr. Fortune Frenoy now retired and living in Wheeling, West Virginia.
We want to thank Fr. John Jazwiecki, S.M. for regular week-end help and welcome Fr. Ray Coolong, S. M, to our parish, hoping he will be happy among us.
We hope that our parish will grow in the years ahead with the help of a wonderful group of people, friendly and caring, who carry us along.
Please God, we are sowing the seeds that will grow long after our work together comes to an end.
May old age not diminish our efforts to continue to build up the Kingdom of the Lord.
Thank you and God Bless You All.
FR TOM STOKES, S.M
History of Our Lady Perpetual Help Icon
The documented history of this wonder-working icon begins in the year 1495, when the image was highly reverenced in a church on the island of Crete. At that time it was already considered of great age, with some writers placing its origin at either the thirteenth or fourteenth century. It was afforded every measure of devotion because of the number of favors granted to those who prayed before it . . .
Heroic effort made to spare church
By JANIS D. FROELICH of The Tampa Tribune YBOR CITY - Wearing a blue ball cap, the Rev. Thomas Stokes stood in the sun watching waves of heat and smoke moving precariously close to the church compound he knows so well. Stokes, across the street from the sanctuary of Our Lady of Perpetual ...