Sacred Heart Parish at 120 N Montana Ave, Miles City, MT 59301-1016 US - OUR HISTORY - CELEBRATING 100 YEARS AT SACRED HEART, TERRY- 1910 TO 2010
OUR HISTORY - CELEBRATING 100 YEARS AT SACRED HEART, TERRY- 1910 TO 2010
Sacred Heart Church in Terry began as a mission of Miles City by Father J.J. O’Carroll. In 1909, the Catholic Church Extension Society of America, through the generosity of Annie E. Sinnott of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, offered to build and furnish a church in Terry, Montana, in memory of her son, James F. Sinnott. Six lots were donated at Terry by Pat Murn of Glendive, and six more were bought through the efforts of Mr. Neff, who solicited the Catholics and non-Catholics at Terry. On September 28, 1910, Bishop Lenihan opened and dedicated the Sacred Heart Church at Terry. When the church was opened, Terry boasted a Catholic population of fifteen.
The church was built at the corner of Jane and Custer Streets. The building was later moved to the corner of McDonald and Park Streets.
When St. Anthony Church in Plevna was established as a parish in 1914 by Bishop Lenihan, Terry became one of its missions and was attended by the pastors of Plevna until 1916 when the mission reverted again to Miles City.
In August of 1953, Bishop Condon elevated Sacred Heart, Terry as a parish and Father Patrick Moran was assigned as pastor. Shortly thereafter a rectory was built. At that time Sacred Heart, Terry, had two missions, St. John the Baptist Church in Mildred and St. Cecilia Church in Fallon. The Fallon mission was eventually consolidated with Terry. St. John the Baptist Church in Mildred was struck by lightening, burned, and was never rebuilt. Sacred Heart, Terry, became a mission of Miles City again in 1979.
In 1975, the old Sacred Heart Church building was torn down and replaced with the current brick structure. The new Sacred Heart Church building, with Father Terry Jimmerson as pastor, was dedicated on May 24, 1976. Parishioners crafted the altar, credence table, ambo, and cross, mostly from the wood of the pews from the old church, while others donated items, such as the baptismal font and processional cross. In 2003, the old church bell was installed in the current church and rings three times a day to remind all of the presence of God in our lives.
We currently have 69 registered families and joyfully anticipate God’s continued blessings on our faith community over the next 100 years.