Diocese of Covington - Safe Environment at 401 E. 20th Street, Covington, KY 41014 US - How to Volunteer... Where do I start?How to Volunteer... Where do I start?
Thank you for your interest in volunteering at your parish or school. Whether you are a parent, grandparent, aunt, uncle, parishioner or community member your involvement can make a positive influence in the lives of children. Children have a natural desire to learn and to admire those adults who choose to share their time and talents with them.
As adults it is our duty to nurture and protect children. That is why we take seriously the need to train every volunteer so that everyone can identify and create a safe environment where children will grow and thrive. Here you will find information to get you registered for VIRTUS training and on your way to enjoying the benefits of making a positive influence in the lives of children.
THE FIRST STEP
• Click here to download and review the 2007 Policies and Procedures for Addressing Sexual Misconduct manual. For the Spanish manual click here.
• Go to your parish, school, or institution office. Introduce yourself to whoever is responsible for the Volunteers OR employees. (Parish priest, Principal, Director of the Institution or it could be the head coach of the team for whom you are volunteering or scout leader.) Tell them that you have downloaded and reviewed the 2007 Policies and Procedures for Addressing Sexual Misconduct manual.
• Receive and review two forms:
1) Volunteer Application Form used for Background Checks; and
2) 2007 Policies and Procedures for Addressing Adult Sexual Misconduct Acceptance Form.
• Fill out the two forms and leave them with the person in charge to give to your coordinator to process through the Diocese.
• Once you have completed the forms and turned them into the person in charge at your parish you will register with VIRTUS to open an account and choose a live training session.
“Registering” means opening an account at www.virtus.org. You may only open ONE account. If you know that you already have an account, you may get your id and password by clicking on “Forgot your Password” on the first screen. Go to www.virtus.org, Click on ...
REGISTERING AND HAVE ALREADY ATTENDED A CLASS
The system asks, “Have you already attended a Protecting God’s Children Session?” You say, “Yes” and choose the class you attended from the list presented. The first choice under identifying an attended session is “The session I attended was in another ...
REGISTERING WITHOUT SIGNING UP FOR A CLASS
It is important that you register immediately whether you select a class or not so that your paperwork may be processed. When you get to the page that asks you to sign up for a class, scroll to the bottom of the page and click on “submit registration”. The system will then ...
CHANGING A CLASS CHOICE
If you need to change a training session you have previously chosen: 1) Enter your user id and password. 2) In the green column on the left side of the screen, click on “Instructor Led Training”. You will see your first choice. 3) Choose “Select New ...