St. John Baptist De La Salle at 20 Second Street NE, Dodge Center, MN 55927-0310 US - HomeWelcome to St. John Baptist de la Salle Catholic Church, Dodge Center, Minnesota.
A brief history...
St John Baptist de la Salle was founded in 1945. Bishop Leo Binz commissioned Fr. George Smith, pastor of St. Francis de Sales at Calremont to establish a new parish in
In 1950 a building committee was formed to study the possibilities of erecting a new church. By August 23 a basement was constructed with further plans for a church. The committee consisted of C. J. Woolison,Francis Morrisette, Joe Althoff, Albert Koss, Rudy Beniak, and Frank Durben. The basement was completed in 1952. One way the parishioners made money was to sell their blood to the Mayo Clinic. Each person received about $25 for a pint of blood to be donated to the building. A number of trips were made to Mayo. Also in 1952, the National Plowing Matches were held halfway between Kasson and
Plans were laid in 1956 to build from the basement up. Those on the building committee were Ray Derry, Rudy Beniak, Bernie Nolan, Joe Maroo, George Klann, Peter Chicos, C. J. Woolison, and Francis Morrisette. Bids were let in July 1957 and construction began in November. A cornerstone was laid on May 13, 1958 and the church dedicated on October 26, 1958, the Feast of Christ the King.
In 1959, the old rectory was sold and new residence built on the north side of the church. In 1962, the garage was added. The debt was paid off in 1963 when Father Francis Ryan was pastor.
A remodeling of the church proper was undertaken in 1979. An attempt was made to better unify the entire liturgical working space in the current building area. Red oak was used throughout. The altar now stands free, approachable from all sides. The Reconciliation chapel is behind the statue of the Blessed Virgin. The sacristy was relocated to the vestibule allow procession through the church. Hand tooled copper was used for new Stations of the Cross. Rededication took place on September 16, 1979.
Fr. Dennis Schimek came to us in 1981 and served until his untimely death in January 1983. He will long be remembered for his goodness, patience, thoughtfulness and for the good example he set. Blessed be his memory!
In 1987, Fr. Doug Gits came to serve us. In 1988,
In 2005, Fr. Kurt Farrell came to lead the flock. He was the first bi-lingual pastor. The Catholic Hispanic presence has motivated us to become more multi cultural in our worship. There is a Spanish Mass every Sunday. The year 2006-2007 saw the elevator being installed. We are now handicapped-accessible.
New carpeting and new covering for the pews were done in 2008. We also celebrated with a 50 year party. A plaque was hung in the back of the church honoring the memory of those who came before and those who will help us on the next steps in life’s journey. Also, a CD was made of families and events of the parish that came about in the fifty years.
Pastors who have served:
|George Smith||1945-1946||Dennis Schimek||1981-1983|
|William McGee||1946||Edward McGrath||1982-1983|
|Thomas Ploof||1946-1947||Joe Mountain||1983-1988|
|John Corcoran||1947-1949||Douglas Gits||1988-1995|
|Cyril Peterson||1949-1954||Milo Ernster||1995-1998|
|Vernon Schaefer||1954-1963||James Seitz||1998-2004|
|Francis Ryan||1963-1971||Peter Schuster||2004|
|Donald Loosbrock||1971-1974||Kurt Farrell||2004-2010|
|Thomas Duane||1974-1976||Will Thompson||2010-2012|
|Robert Kulas||1976-1981||Greg Parrott||2012-present|