St. Joseph Church at 61 N. 23rd St, Battle Creek, MI 49015-1726 US - Service to Others
Saint Joseph Parish exists within a larger community. We are called by Christ to serve each other and those in our Battle Creek community. As part of our plan, we have identified four areas that will help us keep focus on the importance we place on service to others.
Identify Service Focus
- We must increase awareness of the services that our parish currently provides and how to tap into these services. We will make a concentrated effort to examine the offerings we provide, enhance the ones we believe are most beneficial for our parish community, eliminate those that are not in close alignment, and maximize the services provided in key areas. Our service offerings will be in alignment with our identity as a parish. We want to focus on things we do very well before taking on additional services.
- We must align the goals of individual service organizations within the parish with that of our parish goals. We will analyze all of the volunteer groups in the parish to determine how well they align with parish goals. We will make a strong effort to market and publicize these groups.
- We do not need to reinvent the wheel. We will be a resource center to point people to our service organizations.
Build and Market our Services.
- We must develop leadership skills and capacities for our leaders. The parish should provide opportunities to our parishioners on how to be good leaders and maximize parishioner leader impact.
- We need to further develop our network of volunteers and empower them to engage other volunteers. No parish can survive without a network of volunteers. It can be difficult to identify these people. We will further develop a volunteer coordinator who will be the center of volunteer needs and capacities.
- We have new and energetic Catholics who have participated in the RCIA process. We want to assimilate these individuals into our community.
- We will market service opportunities in the parish, and connect these opportunities with our faith commitment.
Improve Communication of Service Needs
- We will utilize our new website more to communicate the services we provide.
- We recognize that parishioners do not always know what services our parish provides. We will work hard at communicating this better.
Meet the Needs of All Parishioners
- In particular, we will focus on our youth in service to help others. We will focus on youth education, but we will also focus on service being part of one’s education.
- We will work at getting our youth involved with our service organizations.