View our current bulletin with ministry list 


Site Search
Search for...

In His Name Catholic Store
"Your Catholic Store"


Contact Us!
Contact us by using our convenient online form, or you may visit our staff directory.


Web Sponsors
Catholic Gifts   Catholic Gifts
Catholic Gifts   Catholic Gifts
Advanced Auto   Advanced Auto
PRAYER MODE APP   PRAYER MODE APP
App for Churches   App for Churches
Work from Home   Work from Home
30% Off Tablets   30% Off Tablets
Catholic Books   Catholic Books
Single Catholics   Single Catholics
Catholic Dating   Catholic Dating
Catholic Gifts   Catholic Gifts
30% Off Tablets   30% Off Tablets
Catholic Gifts   Catholic Gifts
Catholic Dating   Catholic Dating
Work from Home   Work from Home
Catholic Gifts   Catholic Gifts
View all Sponsors
Sponsor this site

Search Catholic Blogs

Catholic Search Engine

Powered by Google

St. Mary of the Angels Catholic Church at 3262 N US Hwy 117 BYP, Mount Olive, NC 28365 US - About St. Mary of the Angels Parish

About St. Mary of the Angels Parish


Inside St. Mary Catholic Church


History of the Parish

The church of St. Mary in Mount Olive was built as a mission of St. Mary’s Parish in Goldsboro with a generous donation from the Catholic Extension Society, and was dedicated by the Vicar Apostolic of North Carolina, Bishop Leo Haid, O.S.B., the Abbot of Belmont Abbey on May 21, 1916. The first Masses were celebrated by the Goldsboro-native and longtime pastor, Fr. Arthur R. Freeman.

Baptism, Confirmation, and the Eucharist had been regularly celebrated in nearby Duplin County since the 1870s, where the Good Shepherd mission was established. The last Mass was celebrated in that historic chapel in 1956. The building, constructed in 1882, has since been destroyed by fire.

The original church structure in Mount Olive was partially destroyed by a fire in December of 1947. Re-building of the small wooden building covered by brown shingles began the next month. A bell tower was added and the charred remains were covered with brick. At that same time, the interior was refinished in oak and the windows were replaced with amber glass. The entire work was completed in February of 1948 and stood, largely unchanged, until the extensive re-modeling of the Great Jubilee Year, 2000, when the current windows were installed.

The land and house next to the church was purchased in 1955 and has since been used in a wide variety of ways, including: a sometimes apartment for a visiting missionary priest, a “Summer convent,” a parish kitchen, hall and office, and a space for faith formation (religious education) for all ages.
The mission of Mount Olive was, over time, made the responsibility of the parish in Newton Grove (Our Lady of Guadalupe), and then of the Clinton parish (Immaculate Conception). Finally, on July 1, 1998, in recognition of the growing immigrant population within the region, the mission was constituted as a parish by Bishop F. Joseph Gossman, and Fr. Fernando Torres was named the administrator, becoming the first resident priest to serve the community. A house on West John Street was soon purchased to serve as a rectory.

In July of 2001, Fr. Frank “Mac” Raffo was named pastor and the mission of the Posada Guadalupana in northern Duplin County (Wolfscape), which had been founded as a mission of the parish in Clinton, was entrusted to the parish in Mount Olive. For six months in 2004, the pastor of Newton Grove, Fr. Ned Shlesinger, was given the additional responsibility of serving as the pastor of Mount Olive and its mission. In order to assist him with this ministry, Fr. Edgar Sepúlveda was assigned to Newton Grove as parochial vicar. He soon took residence in Mount Olive.

Shortly thereafter, the Mount Olive parish counted two resident priests when, in January 2005, Fr. James F. Garneau was named as pastor and Fr. Sepúlveda remained as the parochial vicar. At the same time, the station at Pink Hill (Santa Teresita), Lenoir County, was entrusted to the parish. And in the same year, Fr. Garneau was appointed by the bishop as chaplain to the Hispanics of central Duplin County. Together with Fr. Sepúlveda, he initiated a regularly scheduled Sunday Mass in Kenansville for the Catholics of the area. Finally, in order to provide even greater pastoral attention and leadership to the expanding immigrant community, Fr. Sepúlveda was named administrator of the Posada and of the station at Pink Hill in January, 2006.

On July 10, 2007, by decree of Bishop Michael F. Burbidge, the Posada was constituted as a separate parish, entitled, Mary, Queen of the Americas, and the station at Pink Hill was created as a mission attached to it. The Mass in Kenansville was transferred to Magnolia, where a chapel had been constructed, under the leadership of the pastor in Clinton. At that time, St. Mary parish was given definitive boundaries, including territory in Wayne and Duplin counties.

Over eight acres of land, located two miles from the present site of the parish church, on Highway 117, was purchased on behalf of the parish on December 21, 2005. The parish began construction on the new property in December, 2010, with a desire to build a beautiful Catholic church and other necessary facilities in order to serve the People of God in this area for many years to come.

The New “Title”

As construction on the new parish church got underway, in late 2010, Fr. James F. Garneau, pastor, invited the parish council to consider modifying the name of the parish.  Founded as a mission of St. Mary, Goldsboro, in 1916, the mission and later parish (established in 1998) was simply known as St. Mary (in Mount Olive).  Recalling the story of St. Francis of Assisi, called by Christ to “Repair My Church,” Father Garneau suggested that the new name might be the same as that of the church re-built by the hands of St. Francis and his first companions, “St. Mary of the Angels.” The parish council, after due deliberation, unanimously endorsed the proposal, which was forwarded to the Bishop, who, in keeping with Canon Law, declared that the name of the parish be so amended, on June 8, 2011.

After Francis had embraced a life of poverty for the sake of the Gospel, one day he was at prayer in the Church of St. Damien in Assisi.  Therein, after prolonged meditation, he heard the voice of Jesus speaking to him from the beautiful crucifix over the altar: “Francis, repair my Church.”  Taking the command literally, Francis began to reconstruct the little church of St. Mary of the Angels, just outside of the town, which had long-since fallen into ruins.  This little church became the mother-church of the Franciscan movement, and today, is enshrined within a great basilica built to shelter it.

Soon, Francis and those who joined him in this work came to understand that the call to “repair the Church” also had a deeper, spiritual sense.  St. Francis’ witness of humility, faith, and freely-embraced poverty for the sake of the Kingdom offered a remedy for many of the ills that afflicted the Church, the Body of Christ in his day.  Reconciling our hearts and lives to God, forgiving our enemies, and loving our neighbor freely and without reservation remain the principal remedies for our individual lives, hearts, souls, and for the Church as a whole.

The Patronal Feast and the Plenary Indulgence

The patronal feast for the Holy Mother of God under this title, “St. Mary of the Angels,” is celebrated on August 2, each year.  The Church has enriched this day with a plenary indulgence for those who devoutly visit the parish church on this day, and who pray at least the Lord’s Prayer and the Creed.  In addition, the usual conditions for a plenary indulgence are required: that (within a week before or after the visit) the person seeking the indulgence make a sacramental confession, receive Holy Communion, and pray for the intentions of the Holy Father, the Pope.  Moreover, one must be free of all attachment to sin in order to receive the plenary indulgence, which is the complete forgiveness of all temporal punishment due to sin.  If any of the conditions are defective, then the indulgence is partial.  The plenary indulgence, under the same conditions, is also extended to the faithful by the Holy Catholic Church on the day of the dedication of the church and altar, as well as on the anniversary day of this important event, August 28, the feast of St. Augustine, in the years to come.


Historia de la Parroquia


La Iglesia Santa María en Monte Olivo fue construida como una misión de la Parroquia de Santa María en Goldsboro con la generosa donación de la Sociedad de Extensión Católica y fue dedicada el 21 de mayo de 1916 por el Vicario Apostólico de Carolina del Norte, Obispo Leo Haid, OSB, Abad de la Abadía de Belmont. Las primeras misas fueron celebradas por el Padre Arthur R. Freeman, nativo de Goldsboro y párroco en esa ciudad por largo tiempo.

Bautismos, Confirmación y Eucaristía han sido celebrados regularmente desde 1870 en el vecino condado de Duplin donde se estableció la misión del Buen Pastor. La última misa celebrada en esa histórica capilla fue en 1956. El edificio, construido en 1882, fue destruido por un incendio.
La estructura original en Monte Olivo también fue destruida parcialmente por un incendio en diciembre de 1947. El mes siguiente empezó la reconstrucción del pequeño edificio de madera cubierto con tejas de color marrón. Se le añadió un campanario y el resto del edificio carbonizado fue cubierto con ladrillos. Al mismo tiempo, el interior fue remodelado con madera de roble y las ventanas fueron reemplazadas con ventanas de ámbar. El trabajo fue culminado en febrero de 1948 y se mantuvo así, sin cambios, hasta la remodelación extensa del Gran Jubileo del año 2000, cuando se instalaron las ventanas actuales.

El terreno y la casa al lado de la iglesia fueron comprados en 1955 y han sido utilizados de diversas maneras, incluyendo: alojamiento ocasional para algún pastor visitante, «convento de verano», cocina parroquial, salón y oficina, y como espacio para la formación en la fe (educación religiosa) para todas las edades.

La misión de Monte Olivo también estuvo, en torno, bajo la responsabilidad de la parroquia de Newton Grove (Nuestra Señora de Guadalupe), y después de la parroquia de Clinton (Inmaculada Concepción). Finalmente, el 1 de julio de 1998, reconociendo el crecimiento de la población inmigrante dentro de la región, la misión fue constituida como una parroquia por el Obispo F. Joseph Gossman, nombrando al Padre Fernando Torres administrador, el primer sacerdote residente al servicio de la comunidad. Luego se compró una casa en la West John Street para servir de rectoría.

En julio de 2001, se nombró como párroco al Padre Frank “Mac” Raffo y se le confía a la parroquia de Monte Olivo La misión de la Posada Guadalupana en la parte norte del Condado de Duplin (Wolfscape) la cual había sido fundada como una misión de la Parroquia de Clinton. El párroco de Newton Grove, Padre Bernardo Shlesinger, tuvo la responsabilidad adicional de servir como párroco de Monte Olivo y su misión por seis meses en 2004. Para asistirlo con este ministerio, se asignó al Padre Edgar Sepúlveda como vicario parroquial de Newton Grove quien muy pronto se trasladó para residir en Monte Olivo.

El 10 de Julio, 2007, por un decreto del Obispo Michael F. Burbidge, La Posada fue constituido una parroquia independiente, bajo el título de María, Reina de las Américas, y la estación en Pink Hill fue creado como su mission. La Misa en Kenansville fue trasladado a Magnolia, donde una capilla había sido construido, bajo el liderazgo del párroco de Clinton. La parroquia de Santa María fue dado fronteras definitivas, incluso teritorio en los condados de Wayne y Duplin.

Poco tiempo después, la parroquia de Monte Olivo contaría con dos sacerdotes cuando, en enero de 2005, se nombró al Padre James F. Garneau como párroco y el Padre Edgar Sepúlveda se mantiene como vicario parroquial. Al mismo tiempo, se le encargaba a la parroquia una nueva misión en Pink Hill (Santa Teresita), en el Condado de Lenoir. Ese mismo año, el Padre Garneau fue nombrado capellán para los hispanos de la parte central del Condado de Duplin y junto al Padre Sepúlveda se inició una misa dominical regular en Kenansville para los católicos del área. Finalmente, para brindar una mejor atención pastoral y liderazgo a la creciente comunidad inmigrante, el Padre Sepúlveda fue nombrado administrador de la Posada y de la misión de Pink Hill en enero de 2006.

El 21 de diciembre de 2005, se compró a nombre de la parroquia un poco más de ocho hectáreas de terreno localizado a dos millas de la iglesia actual. La parroquia empezó construcción en diciembre, 2010, para crear una hermosa iglesia católica y otras facilidades necesarias para servir a la gente de Dios del área por muchos años venideros.

El Nuevo “Titulo”

Mientras la construcción de la nueva Iglesia estaba en marcha, a finales del 2010, el Padre James F. Garneau, párroco, invitó a los miembros del  consejo parroquial a considerar la modificación  del nombre de la parroquia. Fundada como una misión de Santa María de Goldsboro, en 1916, la misión y luego la parroquia (establecida en 1998) era conocida simplemente como Santa María de Mount Olive. Recordando la historia de San Francisco de Asís, llamado por Dios a “Reparar mi Iglesia”, el Padre Garneau sugirió que el nuevo nombre fuera el mismo que el de esa iglesia reconstruida por las manos de San Francisco y sus compañeros,  “Santa María de los Ángeles”.  El consejo parroquial después de deliberar sobre el  asunto, unánimemente endosó la proposición, la cual fue enviada al Obispo, quien, a su vez y en conformidad a la Ley Canónica de la Iglesia, declaró que el nombre de la parroquia fuera de esa manera enmendado, el 8 de Junio de 2011.

Después de que San Francisco adoptara una vida de pobreza a causa del Evangelio, un día estaba orando en la Iglesia de San Damián en Asís. Allí adentro, después de una prolongada meditación, él oyó la voz de Jesús hablándole desde el precioso crucifijo sobre el altar: “Francisco, repara mi Iglesia”. Tomando esa orden literalmente, Francisco comenzó la reconstrucción de la pequeña iglesia de Santa María de los Ángeles, en las afueras del pueblo, que había quedado, desde hacía mucho tiempo, en ruinas. Esta pequeña iglesia se convirtió en la madre-iglesia del movimiento franciscano, y hoy, está conservada dentro de una gran basílica que fue construida para protegerla.

Pronto, San Francisco y los que se unieron a él en este trabajo llegaron a entender que la llamada a “reparar la Iglesia” tenía también un sentido más profundo y espiritual. El testimonio de humildad, fe y una verdadera pobreza de San Francisco por la causa del Reino ofreció un remedio a las muchas enfermedades espirituales que afligían a la Iglesia, el Cuerpo de Cristo, en sus días. Reconciliar nuestros corazones y vivir para Dios, perdonar a nuestros enemigos y amar libremente y sin reservas a nuestros vecinos, todavía son los remedios principales para nuestras propias vidas, corazón, alma y para toda la Iglesia en común.

La Fiesta Patronal y el Indulgencia Plenaria

La fiesta patronal para la Santa Madre de Dios bajo el título de “Santa María de los Ángeles” se celebra el día 2 de Agosto de cada año.  La Iglesia ha enriquecido este día con una indulgencia plenaria para aquéllos que devotamente visiten la parroquia en ese día y que recen por lo menos el Padre Nuestro y el Credo.  Además, las condiciones usuales requeridas para una indulgencia plenaria son: que (dentro de una semana antes o después de la visita) la persona que está buscando la indulgencia haga una confesión sacramental, reciba la Santa Comunión, y rece por las intenciones del Santo Padre, el Papa. Más aún, uno debe estar libre de todas las ataduras de pecado para poder recibir la indulgencia plenaria, que es el completo perdón de todos los castigos temporales debido al pecado. Si alguna de las condiciones no está presente entonces la indulgencia es parcial. La misma indulgencia plenaria es ofrecida por la Santa Iglesia Católica a los fieles en el día de la dedicación de la iglesia y su altar, y en el día aniversario de este hecho importante, el 28 agosto, la fiesta de San Agustín, en los años futuros.




This site is hosted by CatholicWeb.com | Find Mass Times at TheCatholicDirectory.com