Contact Us!
Contact us by using our convenient online form, or you may visit our staff directory.


Web Sponsors
Wheelan-Pressly F   Wheelan-Pressly F
Freed Heating & A   Freed Heating & A
State Farm Insura   State Farm Insura
Katz, Hunton, Fie   Katz, Hunton, Fie
Work from Home   Work from Home
Advertise Here   Advertise Here
Wilbert Vault Com   Wilbert Vault Com
Klauer Heating &   Klauer Heating &
Catholic Gifts   Catholic Gifts
Catholic Gifts   Catholic Gifts
American Bank   American Bank
Catholic Dating   Catholic Dating
McLaughlin Motors   McLaughlin Motors
Rock Island Nursi   Rock Island Nursi
Bozeman, Neighbou   Bozeman, Neighbou
Single Catholics   Single Catholics
Cool Beanz Coffee   Cool Beanz Coffee
RosaryMart.com   RosaryMart.com
Rafferty Funeral   Rafferty Funeral
Neises Chiropract   Neises Chiropract
1-800-PetMeds   1-800-PetMeds
Crawford Company   Crawford Company
Catholic Books   Catholic Books
30% Off Tablets   30% Off Tablets
Friendship Manor   Friendship Manor
Friendship - In H   Friendship - In H
Rock Island Optom   Rock Island Optom
Wilbert Vault Com   Wilbert Vault Com
Bozeman, Neighbou   Bozeman, Neighbou
Advertise Here   Advertise Here
Wheelan-Pressly F   Wheelan-Pressly F
Work from Home   Work from Home
View all Sponsors
Sponsor this site

St. Pius X at 31st Avenue and 24th Street, Rock Island, IL 61201 US - About St. Pius X Parish

About St. Pius X Parish

Click here to look around the church.
 
Once the image has loaded, move your mouse to look up, down and all around the church.



St. Pius X Parish was established on June 7, 1955 by Most Reverend William E. Cousins, Bishop of Peoria. The site for the new parish was a 7½ acre weed-covered lot on which stood a dusty frame warehouse, affectionately known as the “old barn.” St. Pius X Parish celebrated its first Mass in the old barn on June 19, 1955. The young congregation worshiped there for 7 years, despite the leaky roof and sparrows in the ceiling noisily protesting the new occupants. The genial, tenacious and persuasive Father Farrell won the hearts of his new flock and the parishioners joined their pastor in the enthusiastic development of this new parish.

In the spring of 1962, a Rock Island newspaper reported that “one of the most unique buildings in the world has begun to rise in Rock Island on the St. Pius X Catholic Church site.” The cornerstone of the church was laid on April 22, 1963 by Msgr. Thomas J. Jordan, then the pastor of St. Pius X. The church was designed to keep the focus on Christ as the center of our worship.


The stained-glass windows of the Church are from Chartes, France.  The beautiful picture of St. Pius  X at the entrance  of the Church and the two windows in the Sanctuary are formed from Art Glass. 

 
 
 
 
 

Eighteen chipped chunk glass windows form the outer  wall of the Church.  These portray the life of Christ beginning with the Nativity and the Good Shepherd.

 

 

The next 14 windows depict the Stations of the Cross.



Finally we see His triumph over death in the Resurrection and the Coming of the Holy Spirit upon the Apostles at Pentecost.






This site is hosted by CatholicWeb.com | Powered by CompBiz EZWeb © software.
Find Mass Times at TheCatholicDirectory.com